Saturday, October 10, 2020

My Hypothyroidism Story



I've always had problems with my weight and growing up in the Philippines where most of the girls my age were small and skinny did not help build up my confidence at all. Hence, I tried various diets and exercises until I lost a lot of weight in my 20s(due to starvation and crazy workouts). However, my life has changed when I moved to NZ (New Zealand) where I gradually gained the weight back again. At first, I thought it was due to the change in climate and food but then I started noticing that I was feeling tired all the time, my hair was falling off and then I would get bad headaches which could only be relieved by rest. It would take me a whole day (and night) to recover from an 8-hour night shift and I would take frequent naps all throughout the day. I was gaining weight uncontrollably and was told that I might be 'eating too much' but in reality, I was trying to follow a good diet and exercise regime. I avoided going out because I was afraid of the constant judgment of the people around me specifically about my weight. I consulted GPs (General Practitioners) and then I was told that I was gaining weight due to stress and that I was feeling tired because I was doing shift work. I was made to believe that I was 'normal' for years but then I knew that something was wrong so I tried to find the answers. Hence, I had a noninvasive thyroid test which showed that I have an underactive thyroid which slowed down my metabolism. The doctor initially thought that I have an autoimmune disease called Hashimoto's wherein the body attacks its own thyroid gland which is primarily responsible for metabolism. I was told that if I have it, the treatment would be extensive diet and medications. As a nurse, I knew what an autoimmune disease meant, and knowing that I might actually have one was really scary and sad. However, my blood test miraculously showed no antibodies in my blood which meant that I don't have an autoimmune disease but I was still started on treatment based on my symptoms. It was very hard in the beginning, having to give up gluten (most fast foods are rich in flour which has gluten), dairy (which was the hardest to give up because I love milk and cheese) and soy (which is present in most processed foods). Starting the treatment and the dietary restrictions that came with it can be alienating at times but I'm lucky that I came across this book 'Be Your Own Thyroid Advocate' by Rachel Hill. Like me, Rachel also has an underactive thyroid and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. Her book has not only equipped me with the knowledge I need in order to battle Hypothyroidism, but it has also empowered me to live the best life that I can by seeking the proper treatment for my condition. She has made me feel that I am not alone on this journey and that women with an underactive thyroid like me can still maximize their full potential and live life to the fullest by not only advocating for their thyroid but for themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment