Saturday, October 23, 2010

Manila, Manila



So I had a rough day at work yesterday, went home, spent the rest of the day in front of the computer, had my devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and was about to sleep when I had visions of a familiar place that used to be my home: Manila.

Wikipedia.org defines the City of Manila as the capital of the Philippines. It is also one of the 16 cities that make up Metro Manila, one of the most populous metropolitan areas in the world, with a population of 20 million people.

For probinsyanas(someone from the suburbs) like me, Manila can just be the key to our brighter futures.  Why?  Because the most well-respected educational institutions in the country such as the University of the Philippines- Manila, University of Santo Tomas, La Salle Taft, Ateneo de Manila, San Beda College and Centro Escolar University(my mom’s Alma Mater) are all located here.

As for me alone, this place cannot be just an ordinary one because it has been a witness to some of the most significant events in my professional life.  I reviewed for the local boards in one of the nursing review centers in Espana, took my licensure examination at the University of the East, had my oathtaking at the SMX Mall of Asia and took my IELTS exam at the British Council in Manila.

me and Mara with Ralph and Shem, our high school buds at Manila


picture-taking at Trinoma

In every sense of the word, this place made me closer to my dreams and while this place is just a boat ride and a bus ride away from Oriental Mindoro, it takes a lot of effort to be on it. However, despite of all these, I am still feeling a sense of longing for this place.  I miss Manila and everything about it.

I miss waking up in a review day, choosing an outfit to wear for classes, walking the streets of Bustillos, riding jeepneys at Espana, and buying food from 7/11 stores.  I miss Tuesday afternoons at St. Anthony Shrine and the famous Thursday novena masses at the St. Jude Shrine.  I miss Friday DVD marathons with my sister and reviewing.  I miss going to the internet shops and paying 15 pesos just to get a glimpse of Facebook.  I miss Sunday masses at the San Beda Chapel and Sunday movies at theaters.  I miss Starbucks, Pan De Manila, Kamiseta, National Book Store and FullyBooked.  I miss LRT(Light Railway Transit), Divisoria, the DVD stands, Lianas, and Recto.   I miss the sunny mornings, the rainy afternoons and the cold evenings.  I am definitely missing out on M-A-N-I-L-A.
Manila: Mahal Kita!

Hence, as I opened my eyes this morning, I saw a small green room, lots of books,and my nursing uniform.  I didn’t hear noises from jeepneys and vendors.  I didn’t see beggars, lots of newspaper stands and shrines.  All I saw was our humble home, my siblings and the familiar television set in the center of our house.  I was breathing the fresh air of Mindoro, hearing noises from the computer that my brother was using  and living the laid back life of a Mindorena.  I am definitely home and Manila is just a dream away.


Lovelots,
Maica Angelle

Some Photos Copied from:
http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=manila#/d18khy6
http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=manila#/d14g2zv

2 comments:

  1. tell me if you are going to manila, :) i'll be glad to share some moments with you and mara :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks lynsay... let's watch party p there ;)

    ReplyDelete