Tuesday, October 5, 2010

On Thin Air




Have you ever crossed the line between life and death?  Have you ever taken a deep breath, closed your eyes and felt the cold, ravishing wind against your skin?  It’s like a thin air between the world we know and the one up there. It can either take our own lives or breathe new ones to it.  

Emergency Room- just the thought of it scares me.   It’s a place where death is nothing new, where dying is common.  It’s the human’s link to hope and survival and it’s the nursing area I thought I’d suck at.  Anyway, the only legitimate exposure I had to the ER(Emergency Room) is way back in my student nurses’ life.  It’s not something I can be proud of so the thought of being at it brings back bad memories of my college years I don’t want to remember.

Anyway, stepping onto the Emergency Room the first time scared the hell out of me.  I was this inexperienced nurse trying who trying to work in an unfamiliar place.  I was this lost girl trying to find my way there.  I felt alone and in doubt.  It was a scary experience but I got through with it.

After several rotations at the ER, I can finally say that this area is not as scary as it seems.  Yes I’ve dealt with pregnant women in true labor pains, cute children who are having difficulty breathing, wounded men who almost lost their feet, limbs and lives but  I’ve managed to turn my back on the ER with a smile on my face.  Why?  Because I’ve never thought that the room I’ve been scared at all throughout my nursing life might just be the one I’d like to work at.  At the end of the day, I come to a conclusion that the emergency room might just be an adrenaline-boosting and challenging place closest to home.

Lovelots,
Maica Angelle

Photo Copied from:
http://camendesign.com/blog/welcome

No comments:

Post a Comment