Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Into Your Veins


 What comes next after passing the boards, the oathtaking ceremony, the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Exam, the National Council Licensure Examination review, volunteerism and the Cardio Pulmonary Nurse Training Program, really?  For me, the answer is simple: the Basic Intravenous Therapy Training.

Basic Intravenous Therapy Training conducted by the Oriental Mindoro Provincial Hospital
Maica, the trainee

Well, after almost a year of passing the boards, we were finally able to undergo an Intravenous Therapy Training.  This took place at the Benedictine Monastery in Brgy. Salong, Calapan City, Oriental Mindoro.  It was a three-day basic program with didactics, return demonstrations, and duty.

the Calapan Bay as seen on the monastery
the cute bonsai tree
the Grace Park
The first day of training was all about the necessities of Intravenous Therapy.  We had a pre-test, and various lectures about the anatomy and physiology of the cardiovascular system, the intravenous therapy itself and its complications, Total Parenteral Nutrition and the Nursing Responsibilities in Intravenous Therapy.  It was great that it was held at a quite, serene place, such as the Benedictine Nuns Monastery in my hometown.  Also, it was so refreshing that after a five-week training at a busy city, we are finally home doing the things we miss the most. We are, once again, working on a familiar place, mingling with the people we've missed.  It was a memorable day for me and my twin sister.

me and my co-trainees on our lunch break

have break, have a camera shot!
my trainee buds
The second day, however, was all about lectures, post test and demonstrations.  I can still remember that during the lecture, I was scheming through the pages of my manual because I nervous about the upcoming return demonstrations.  After the post test, we commenced with the twelve return demonstrations about inserting intravenous cannulas and the like.  At first, I was worried that I might not have prepared enough but in the end, I became too exhausted that I saw myself struggling towards the demos.  Imagine, we had to memorize 12 procedures, deal with 12 preceptors and recite while demonstrating those.  I was exhausted. afterwards.  I was so relieved at the end of the day that I was finally given the chance to breath, relax and rest.

our preceptors doing some demonstration

at a return demonstration station
our preceptors

The one-on-one intravenous insertions marks the third day of the course.  It was held at the Oriental Mindoro Provincial Hospital. It was February 27, 2011, a working Sunday for all of us. We saw our colleagues and they were surprised to see us, knowing that we were away for a while because of our training.

In the one-on-one, my partner was my twin sister Mara.  I noticed that it was hard to insert the cannula on her because we had thin veins. Our preceptor even said that Mara's veins are better because those are bigger.  I am proud, though, that I made it in just one attempt.  Mara, however, had to do it twice on me.  It was so painful but I'm glad that she managed to insert the cannula in my veins.

The training doesn't end there.  We had to do it in actual situations.  As for me, I have not completed my cases yet but I'm optimistic that I'll get certified someday.  I may be a novice in intravenous insertion but I believe that someday, I'll be good.  All it takes is trust, hope, and faith.
at Grace Park

Lovelots,
Maica Angelle

No comments:

Post a Comment